Trainspotting in Wales

wf13.JPG (33027 bytes)

Front facade of Aberystwyth's depot.   The fine stone headhouse was added to the older Cambrian Railways platforms behind by new owner Great Western Railway in 1923/4.  GWR was eager to make a statement about the benefits which would accrue to mid-Wales under its stewardship of the Cambrian, and choose to make its point in stone and masonry at Aberystwyth; architecture critics hailed the style as "English Renaissance."  When first unveiled, the new headhouse included both a restaurant and a fully-equipped dance hall. 

 

 

 

All materials, images, text and presentation copyright 1998 Erik Gray Ledbetter.  See Terms of Use.